Really, I've had the idea for much longer than just the few months. I first read the tutorial on Little Green Notebook in 2009, which uses a set of miniblinds to hold the Roman blind fabric. Her original tutorial used the slats from the blinds, but the revised version uses plastic drapery rings instead. Although her tutorial was good, I had a few questions when working on it, so I thought my post could serve as an explanatory addendum. Her post was actually pre-Pinterest (there was a time this was true??), but I've since pinned a few images that pin-spired me to complete this project: this one and this one.
First off, LGN's blinds were made of linen, while I chose a large-patterned outdoor fabric. Since I was using a large pattern, I made sure to line it up when planning my blind. I was lucky that the pattern repeated every 23" or so, which is how wide my blind needed to be. (This is the fabric wrong side up, by the way.) I cut 26" wide and 42" long for my 23"x38" opening.
After cutting, my next step was to sew it up (which you could definitely do with hem tape; I prefer my sewing machine!). My tip here is to be sure your iron isn't set too hot. I accidentally shrunk my fabric a bit on one side because I had the iron setting too high. When it came to cutting the ladder cords, I got additional guidance from Simply Mrs. Edwards, especially this photo. Welcome to Heardmont helped me decide how I wanted to attach the fabric to the top of the blind with this photo. I ended up not using velcro, but I have some if I change my mind.
Here's how I glued my wood slat to the bottom of the blind. I opted to glue it on three sides, partially because of the ironing oopsie I had earlier (I could hide it better by wrapping it around the slat). Also, who wants to go get a manicure with me? Ugh.
And a close up of the eyebolt screwed into the wood slat. (I feel like Cassie is going to TWSS me any time now.)
I'm so glad I went back for this fabric. That's right-- I fawned over it in the store, knew it was exactly what I wanted, put it back, walked away, then changed my mind later. Luckily it was still on sale when I returned!
Folded goodness. I did have to help it up, but I'm hoping after a few weeks the fabric will get the hang of its new life as a Roman blind.
Here's a look at how I accounted for the blind's attachment points. I used fabric glue up to where the connectors would go, which gave me enough space to slide those suckers in when the blind was ready to be installed. The fabric is thick enough that it lays straight across the header without an issue. The folks who installed the blinds put it on the top of the window molding, and although most blinds are mounted inside the window frame, I'm too lazy to move it.
The fabric is especially lovely against our greenish-grayish-blueish walls.
I thought about making a shower curtain (probably from a bed sheet), but I'd like to live with this for a while just to see. Until Mr. GI guilt trips me again, that is.
Here's the view from outside, which would be interrupted by miniblind slats if I'd gone with LGN's original tutorial.
And the lovelies that bloomed just below our bedroom window last week. They remind me of the shade pattern. Maybe I'm just that in love with it.
As far as a cost breakdown, the project totaled about $20. The fabric was $13 (I got 1.3 yards), plus the fabric glue and plastic drapery rings. I used a JoAnn's 40% coupon, and the fabric was already 50% off.
Linking up to the Pinterest Challenge at Young House Love, Bower Power, Sparkle Meets Pop, and Red Bird Blue.